> Competency 4: Prevention > 13. References
Competency 4: Prevention
- Alberta Alcohol and Drug Abuse Commission. 2003. A Framework for Addictions
Services for Women. Edmonton: Government of Alberta.
- Stratton, K.; Howe, C.; and Battaglia, F., eds. 1996. Fetal Alcohol
Syndrome: Diagnosis, Epidemiology, Prevention, and Treatment. Washington, DC:
National Academy Press.
- Handmaker, N.S., and Wilbourne, P. 2001.
Motivational interventions in prenatal clinics. Alcohol Research & Health
- Chang, G.; Wilkins-Haug, L.; Berman, S.; et al. 1998. Alcohol use and pregnancy:
Improving identification. Obstetrics & Gynecology 91:892-898.
- Brady, T.M., and Ashley, O.S., eds. 2005. Women in substance abuse
treatment: Results from the Alcohol and Drug Services Study (ADSS) DHHS Publication
No. (SMA) 04-3968, Analytic Series A-26. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental
Health Services Administration, Office of Applied Studies.
- Baer, J.S.; Barr, H.M.; Bookstein, F.L.; et al. 1998. Prenatal alcohol
exposure and family history of alcoholism in the etiology of adolescent alcohol
problems. Journal of Studies on Alcohol 59(5):533-43.
- Manwell, L.B.; Fleming, M.F.; Mundt, M.P.; et al. 2000. Treatment of problem
alcohol use in women of childbearing age: Results of a brief intervention trial.
Alcoholism, Clinical and Experimental Research 24(10):1517-24.
- Miller, W.R., and Rollnick, S. 1991. Motivational Interviewing: Preparing
People To Change Addictive Behavior. New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. 1989 (Updated: October
2000). Relapse and Craving. Alcohol Alert No. 6 PH277. Bethesda, M: National Institutes
- Bien, T.H.; Miller, W.R.; Tonigan, J.S. 1993. Brief interventions for
alcohol problems: a review. Addiction 88:315-336.
U.S. Surgeon General releases advisory on alcohol use in pregnancy. Washington,
DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, February 21, 2005.
- Henshaw, S.K. 1998. Unintended pregnancy in the United States. Family
Planning Perspectives 30(1):24-29, 46.
- Ingersoll, K.; Floyd, L.; Sobell, M.; et al. and Project CHOICES Intervention
Research Group. 2003. Reducing the risk of alcohol-exposed pregnancies: A study
of a motivational intervention in community settings. Pediatrics 111(5
- Mitchell, J.L. 1995. Pregnant, Substance-Using Women .
Treatment Improvement Protocol Series 2. DHHS Publication No. (SMA) 95-3056. Rockville,
MD: Center for Substance Abuse Treatment.
- Minister of Public Works and Government Services of Canada. 2001.
Best Practices: Treatment and Rehabilitation for Women With Substance Use Problems . Ottawa: Health Canada.
- Hedrich, D. 2000. Problem Drug Use by Women: Focus on Community-Based
Interventions. Strasbourg: Pompidou Group.
- Swift, W.; Copeland, J.; and Hall, W. 1995. Characteristics and Treatment
Needs of Women With Alcohol and Other Drug Problems: Results of an Australian National
Survey. National Drug Strategy Research Report Series, No. 7. Canberra, Australia:
Department of Health and Ageing.
- Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. 2003. Lessons Learned: Residential
Substance Abuse Treatment for Women and Their Children. DHHS Publication No.
(SMA) 04-3968, Analytic Series A-26. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health
Services Administration (SAMHSA).
- Finkelstein, N. 1993. Treatment programming for alcohol and drug-dependent
pregnant women. International Journal of Addiction 28(13):1275-1309.
- Grant, T.M.; Ernst, C.C.; and Streissguth, A.P. 1999. Intervention with
high-risk alcohol and drug-abusing mothers: I. Administrative strategies of the
Seattle model of paraprofessional advocacy. Journal of Community Psychology
- Ernst, C.C.; Grant, T.M.; Streissguth, A.P.; et al. 1999. Intervention
with high-risk alcohol and drug-abusing mothers: II. Three-year finds from the Seattle
model of paraprofessional advocacy. Journal of Community Psychology 27(1):19-38.
- Chavkin, W., and Breitbart, V. 1997. Substance abuse and maternity: The
United States as a case study. Addiction 92(9):1201-1205.
- Berkowitz, G.; Brindis, C.; Clayson, Z.; et al. 1996. Options for recovery:
Promoting success among women mandated to treatment. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs
- Loneck, B.; Garrett, J.; and Banks, S.M. 1997. Engaging and retaining
women in outpatient alcohol and other drug treatment: The effect of referral intensity.
Health and Social Work 22(1):38-46.
- Abel, E.L. 1998. Protecting fetuses from certain harm. Politics and
the Life Sciences 17(2):113-117.
- Gearing, R.E.; McNeill, T.; and Lozier, F.A. 2005.
Father involvement and fetal alcohol spectrum disorder: Developing best practices . Journal of FAS International 3:e14.
- Frank, D.A.; Brown, J.; Johnson, S.; et al. 2002. Forgotten fathers: An
exploratory study of mothers’ report of drug and alcohol problems among fathers
of urban newborns. Neurotoxicology & Teratology 24(3):339-347.
- Floyd, R.L.; Decoufle, P.; and Hungerford, D.W. 1999. Alcohol use prior
to pregnancy recognition. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 17(2):101-107.
- Forrest, D.J. 1994. Epidemiology of unintended pregnancy and contraceptive
use. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 170(5):1485-1489.
- Leonardson, G.R., and Loudenburg, R. 2003. Risk factors for alcohol use
during pregnancy in a multistate area. Neurotoxicology & Teratology
- Rhodes, J.E.; Gingiss, P.L.; and Smith, P.B. 1994. Risk and protective
factors for alcohol use among pregnant African-American, Hispanic, and white adolescents:
The influence of peers, sexual partners, family members, and mentors. Addictive
Adobe™ PDF and MS Office™
formatted files require software viewer programs to properly read them. Click here
to download these FREE programs now.